The Christoff Project

Traveling back in time, fighting dinosaurs and righting what once went wrong. Voted #1 by Fluffy Clouds!

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

The music Revo-Evo-lution

Friday, May 30, 2008

I have been around long enough to see the music evolution from 8-tracks-to-Cassettes-to-CD's-to-Mp3s. Having recently transferred all of my CD collection onto my hard drive I am growing somewhat nostalgic of the old days. I am actually considering the possibility of putting these CD's into a box to store in my basement. Because of the low cost of CD-R's I can put whatever music I want to listen to that day on a CD or put it on a Ipod. Gone are the days of having a shelf to display your vast musical collection, instead you can claim how many gigabytes of music you own. I actually found myself saying that I had 2.5 GB of Jeff Buckley, I thought afterward what the hell did I just say. I sometimes miss the days of my childhood, listening to the radio for hours just to hear your favorite new song so you could hit the record button, mix tapes were awesome.Gone also are the days of borrowing CD's and the great conversations or fights that would ensue. I am sure more than one of you have fought over CD's after a breakup. It just doesn't seem the same when I download/buy an album or send a file to a friend, I actually liked the whole CD buying process. There was also a sense of commitment when you shelled out money for a whole CD, I would listen to the whole thing, giving it much more of a chance of winning me over than listening to a 30 sec preview. I still refuse to buy just a single song seeing it as a betrayal of their album as a whole work of art. Maybe in the future CD stores take the place of "record" shops, for buying vintage music? Don't get me wrong I do like having my music more accessible and usable, and I believe I am showing my age here, but I just miss the old days.
Feel free to share some of your musical memories.

3 comments:

  1. theworldisalive said...

    i have 48.41gigs of music on this computer (more on the other computer)

    but i also owned 8 tracks and have a record collection (but that's because i garage sale shopped and ebay shopped for my records)

    i did however have to record my fave songs from the radio onto my boom box to make mix tapes...and it was horrible.

    i love mp3. i hate the space my CDs take up. i have all of my music on a sweet 80gig external and i love it.

    love it.


    and i don't have to pay for my music, so when you buy a CD most of the money goes to the man. fuck the man. the record industry does not need my money. i'll go to shows of artists i want to support.

    i love file share.


    and i miss you!

    5:00 PM  

  2. Unknown said... This comment has been removed by the author.

    6:01 AM  

  3. S.S. said...

    I'm right with you buddy. I remember listening to the radio right when I got home from school to try to record "My Favorite Mistake" to a cassette and listening to it on repeat over and over.

    With the new Coldplay album coming out, I'm trying as hard as I can to not listen to the album until next Tuesday when it is officially released in America. I know record companies feel like they have to make their music more accessible and use gimmicks to get people excited about the music long before the album comes out, but there is something to be said about hearing the whole album on release day.

    I'm also fearing a War of the Worlds like apocalypse that will render all digital technology useless thus erasing my 20GB of music. If that happens, I will be PISSED OFF!

    6:04 AM  

Post a Comment